How to use Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender, known for its familiar floral aroma, is a must-have for your home. One of Lavender’s primary benefits is its calming scent. We love to diffuse it on its own or in a custom blend. Try complementing Peppermint and Lemon with the slightly woodsy notes in Lavender to create a clean, comforting aroma. Not only does Lavender offer a soft, classic scent when you diffuse it, but it’s also a great addition to beauty products. Add it to your favorite moisturizer and let the relaxing aroma help you unwind as you prepare for bed. You can also add a few drops to a steamy bath or create a DIY sugar scrub for a luxurious bath or shower.
Today, lavender is the most used essential oil in the world. Ancient texts tell us that lavender essential oil has been used for medicinal and religious purposes for over 2,500 years.
The Egyptians used it for mummification and as a perfume. The Romans used it for bathing, cooking and for scenting the air.
And, quite possibly the most well known of all, Mary used it to anoint Jesus with her hair and and many believe spikenard was made from or is lavender essential oil.
“Mary then took a pound of very costly perfume of pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped His feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.” ~ John 12:3
Many researchers claim that 2,000 years ago, lavender was referred to as spikenard or simply nard from the Greek name for lavender, naardus, after the Syrian city Naarda. 2,000 years of people using it says a lot about the power of this oil.
Lavender Essential Oil Uses:
- Treat yourself to this well-loved aroma by adding a few drops of oil to lotions, shampoos, and skin care products.
- Create a spa-like retreat by combining 1 cup Epsom salt and 4 drops oil and adding to a hot bath.
- Make a basic homemade body scrub with coconut oil, sugar, and Lavender essential oil.
- Unwind with a Lavender-infused neck or back massage.
- Use Lavender as part of your evening routine. Rub oil on the bottom of your feet before bed or spritz your pillow with distilled water and Lavender mixed in a spray bottle.
- Create a DIY room freshener with Lavender or diffuse it to banish stale odors